Thursday, November 26, 2009

Divorce Procedure

Determining Child Support

The court will generally consider the amount of gross income generated by each parent, the amount of placement, and the number of dependent children. Often times the court falls back on the percentage standard, and takes a certain percentage of the salary of the parent that does not have placement, such as 17% if there is one child, 25% if there are two children, etc. and gives that amount to the parent that has placement.

Friday, January 2, 2009


If I was given money as inheritance, if I get divorced, then does my husband have a right to any of that money? It depends. If the money was given and then kept separate and under your name, generally, your husband will not have an interest in it. However, if you deposit that money into your joint family/checking account it may become indistinguishable from other funds and therefore would become family money, for which your husband would have a 1/2 interest in.